Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fall is here!

It has arrived! My favorite time of the year...FALL!! And FINALLY we are feeling some of that cool weather I've so fondly been awaiting for the past 4 months!

I'm looking forward to getting my Fall baking on with some homemade Apple and Cherry pies to be enjoyed with some good friends this weekend. I've been practicing my homemade crusts several times, and it has been frustrating getting just the right consistency of dough. Who knew pie crusts could be so tempermental? Meanwhile, Todd is more than happy to have me "practicing" my pie dough to perfection.

Wish me luck! I'll post some pictures of the end result!

2 comments:

tharker said...

Doesn't Fall just make you SO happy?! I love everything about it. The colors, the cooler temperatures, the baking...love it!

I'm not great at pie crust, but a friend of mine showed me a cool trick while rolling out the dough. She cuts a garbage bag down one side and places the dough in between the two parts of the bag.

She then rolls the dough by rolling on top of the bag until it is as thin as she wants it to be. She peels the top layer off, and flips the dough into the pie pan.

Then all you have to do is press the dough into the pan, and peel off the other layer of the bag.

It's so cool because it helps you roll the dough out without adding extra flour to keep it from sticking. The extra flour makes the crust too tough. I had to practice it a couple of times, but it's seriously the coolest thing ever!

The funny part is I thought I was so cool for learning this, and when I showed it to my mother in law last Thanksgiving, she informed me that she already knew about it ;)

Emily said...

Tiffani, that's such a great tip! I've been trying to think of ways to make that part easier and I think that is such a great idea! Cheap too! I am making an apple pie on Thursday for a potluck at work on Friday and I can't wait to try that new method ;).